Orecchiette with Sausage and Tomatoes
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Under 45 minutes
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup tomatoes diced in large chunks
- 1 tablespoon unsalted water
- 2 ounces aged provolone cheese, shredded
- In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the orecchiette pasta until they are al dente. Drain and reserve ¼ cup of cooking water.
- Meanwhile in a large deep skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until warm, but not smoking.
- Separate the Italian sausage on small bite size chunks and add them to the skillet. Cook on medium high heat until nicely browned and cooked through. About 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate.
- Remove all excess grease released from the sausage.
- Add 1 tablespoons of the olive oil to the skillet and add the tomatoes. Cook over medium low heat. The tomatoes are ready when soft but not falling apart.
- Add the reserved cooking water scraping up any browned bits and crushing the tomatoes.
- Cook until the liquid is reduced by half and the tomatoes are nearly broken down, about 5 minutes
- Add the pasta to the skillet along with the cooked sausage and the remaining butter and cook stirring until the pasta is well coated.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded provolone cheese.
- Transfer to bowls and serve right the way.