Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Under 45 minutes
- 8 slices of center cut bacon, cut into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 cups warm whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cup shredded American cheese
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 8 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 3 cups uncooked)
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Reserve bacon fat in pan.
- Cook pasta per manufacturer directions.
- Whisk flour into the rendered fat. Cook whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, salt, mustard, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Bring to a simmer whisking constantly until thickened, approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cheese, stirring until melted and smooth. Stir in bacon, chives and cooked macaroni.