Although outside is 1000 degrees, I am still in the mood to cook an elaborate dinner for the two loves of my life.
Tonight dinner is a favorite of all of us.
If you never tried caramelized shallots today is your day to try them. Slicing them thin and sautéing them with butter as a result the sweet tasty juices are released.
The buttermilk will balance the shallots hence less salt seasoning will be needed.
A great chilled bottle of Chardonnay, some wonderful smooth music and here we are having a romantic candle light dinner with our son.
Romance with seven years old you may say? Got to start them young…
To all happy Sunday and wishing you a fantastic week to come
Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
- 1 pound potatoes, Yukon
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup buttermilk, well shaken
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Combine with cold well salted water to cover by 1 inch in a 4 quart saucepan, bring to a simmer, and simmer until tender; about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small nonstick skillet over moderately high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and deep golden, about 8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, return to pan and coarsely mash with a potatoes masher. Stir in shallots, buttermilk, a bit of butter, salt and pepper.
Giangi’s Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram