Chicken parmigiana or chicken parmesan recipe. One of those dishes that we are never tired of it and cannot get enough of. At least at my house.
Chicken breasts, butterflied, and pounded are a treat. You can also use chicken thighs too. Either way, skinless and boneless. Tomato sauce and mozzarella goodness melted all over. What there is not to like? Breaded chicken with tons of flavor.
- Chicken breasts are quite thick and do not cook evenly. By butterflying and pounding the chicken you will found it that it will cook thru and faster.
- In my breading, I always use Panko, a light Japanese bread crumbs. I love the lightness of it and when fried, the panko does not retain the oil making your dish lighter.
- Always season your boneless skinless chicken breasts with lots of salt and pepper.
- Add some parmesan cheese to the panko for an even cheesier taste
- For the tomato sauce, I am close to my Italian roots, light, and simple. I do not like to take away from the goodness of the chicken thus I use a very simple tomato sauce enhanced by fresh basil. However, do use your favorite tomato sauce, or jar tomato sauce. A couple of tablespoons or half a cup, I leave the tomato sauce up to you.
- When it comes to herbs and spices, I am more on the safe side. Please use the one that you enjoy the most as well as the one you have on hand. Fresh give it a more fragrant scent. Dry herbs, you may want to add a bit more.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer your baked chicken
I love it therefore I add the thickest slices I could get away with. Just remember that the thicker they are, they will not melt as fast. I would not use burrata as it will be too mushy and render your chicken too wet. Shredded mozzarella will work well.
Watch for the cooking time as you do not want to have your chicken undercooked.
Cookie or baking dish
- One of the most used and highly recommended items in my kitchen, when I prepare this dish, is always the three trays from Hulisen. They have so many uses and are always around me when cooking.
- Cookie sheets or baking sheets work great here. Whichever you use make sure are shallow dishes. Line aluminum foil is perfect, with less cleaning at the end. A baking dish will do the trick as well, always lined for easy cleaning.
- Add some garlic powder to your flour to add an extra layer of spiciness to this dish.
Every oven cooks differently. Keep an eye on your chicken parmigiana when in the oven as it will burn faster than you think.
If you prepare pasta alongside, you may want to start boiling the water before placing the chicken in the oven.
Side dishes suggestions:
- Pasta is always our favorite and always asked for. Penne, farfalle, spaghetti. Anything that your heart desired. Use some of the same tomato sauce, it will be perfect.
- Spinach Salad with Citrus: You may say odd combination, however, enjoyed after the chicken parmigiana it will be very refreshing and a great finish.
- Tomato Arugula Salad. One of my favorite, with 7 ingredients and 15 minutes, and always so delicious.
- Butter Lettuce with Shallots Vinaigrette. Safe, delicious, and super healthy. You may want to skip the shallots if you have none on hand.
Within 30 minutes this wonderful dish is on your table. Enjoy this super easy and super delicious dish and just have fun creating your own version.
Equipment and Ingredients used to create this recipe
- 25 mins total
- 10 mins prep
- 15 mins cook
- serves 4
6 boneless skinless chicken tights
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 extra large egg(s)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
3 teaspoons dry marjoram
olive oil for frying
Preheat oven at 350°
Pound the chicken breast or tights, between plastic wrap, until they are even and ¼ inch thick.
Coat the chicken on both sides with the flour mixture, shaking off any excess, then dip both sides into the egg mixture and dredge both sides in the bread crumbs mixture.
Heat the oil in a large sauté pan, ½ inch up to the skillet side, and cook breaded thighs on medium-high for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until the chicken is golden brown on each side. Do not overcrowd the skillet. Remove and place in a cookie sheet.
Smear tomato sauce over the chicken and top with a mozzarella slice.
Place in the oven and cook until the mozzarella has melted.
If you liked my recipe, you’re sure to love these useful products and related dishes.