Pork chops with dried cranberries, mushrooms and chestnut stuffing. After a long day of crunching numbers, I needed a little creativity in my life.
So I decided to see what I could come up with these wonderful pork chops we get from our wonderful man, Pete at Personal Gourmet Foods.
Tonight recipe was created as I was going along. I wanted to play with new flavors, new textures and, well, I wanted something different. So with no recipe in hand, the canvas of what dinner was going to be unraveled before my eyes.
As a result of playing with cranberries, mushrooms and chestnuts as a stuffing. the pork chop was as tender as possible. The pomegranate adds a tart spin to it that is welcomed with the pork chops. While straining, with the back of a wooden spoon press any solids to maximize the juices, thus adding more flavor.
If the chops are too big, close them with the help of toothpicks.
The cranberries rice is the perfect side dish as it will absorb any juices. As well as continuing with the flavor of the pork chops. All per all a great combination.
A chilled glass of Chardonnays is a great together.
Pork Chops with Dried Cranberries, Mushrooms and Chestnut Stuffing
- 6 ounces pork chops 4 6 ounces each bone in pork chops
- 1 shallots 1 finely sliced and chopped shallots
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 0.5 cup dried cranberries 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 0.5 cup chestnuts 1/2 cup vacummed and sealed, chopped chestnuts
- 0.25 apple 1/4 peeled, seeded and chopped apple
- 8 mushrooms 8 stalk removed, sliced adn chopped Crimini mushrooms
- 1 pomegranate 1 whole, squeezed adn grains out pomegranate
- 2 tbsps sherry 2 tablespoons sweet sherry
- 1 tsp flat-leaf parsley 1 teaspoon finley chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sodium free chicken stock 1 cup sodium free chicken stock
- In a large skillet melt over high heat 2 tablespoons of butter and add the shallots, dried cranberries, chestnuts, apples, mushrooms, ½ the juice of the pomegranate and grains, parsley and Sherry wine. Sautee all the ingredients for 5 to 8 minutes until soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven at 300°.
- Cut a 2 inch slit into the side of each pork chop using a paring knife, cutting through to the bone to form a pocket. Fill each pocket with 2 tablespoon of cranberries-chestnut stuffing. Press to flatten. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over high heat. Sear chops until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add ½ cup stock. Reduce heat to low; simmer covered until cooked through¸6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the pork chops into a plate and place in the oven to keep warm. Add the remaining ½ cup stock to skillet and ½ of the pomegranate juice and grains. Raise heat to high, and simmer, scraping up brown bits with a wooden spoon, until sauce is thick, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve, and drizzle over pork.
Giangi's Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram