Our supermarket had beautiful red, orange and yellow bell peppers and I could not resist to purchase them.
Ages ago, and I mean ages ago, I prepared this simple yet delightful stuffed bell peppers with shrimps. You may wonder how I do remember that, well, simple… I have kept a log of all the new recipes that I have made since the late ‘80s.. Scary right???
Not having shrimps on hand I used prawns that I just purchased from Pete at Personal Gourmet Foods to replicate the recipe that I made then.
An easy to assemble recipe, perfect for lunch or dinner, a crisp green salad is all you may need as a side dish if you are not too hungry.
Prawns Stuffed Yellow Bell Peppers
- 2 bell peppers 2 large sweet yellow bell peppers
- 3 tbsps unsalted butter 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 0.25 cup shallots 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 0.25 cup unbleached all purpose flour 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup cream cheese 1 cup at room temperature cream cheese
- 1 tsp lemon juice 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsps flat-leaf parsley 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lbs prawns 1 pound fresh shelled, vein removed and cut into large chunks prawns
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 0.5 cup Monterey jack cheese 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Halve the peppers lengthwise and remove seeds and membrane.
- Blanch for 5 minutes in boiling water, drain and set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoon butter and sauté the shallot until soft. Sprinkle with flour and cook until bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until all incorporated. Add lemon juice, mustard parsley.
- In a small frying pan add 1 tablespoon of butter and sauté the prawns until light pink. Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and cook over medium heat for another minute.
- Add the prawns to the cream cheese mixture and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into pepper shells and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is bubbly.
Giangi's Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram