Butter lettuce with shallots vinaigrette. We love salad in our family. Ever since I can remember I have enjoyed crispy butter lettuce with a vinaigrette.
One ritual that is consistent in our family. Learned how to make it at an early age from my dad, the process has stayed with me.
Of all the types of lettuce, butter lettuce, or also known as Boston lettuce or bibb lettuce, is one of that the leaves are the tenderest of all.
Butter lettuce leaves are very easy to damage. A gentle wash and dry with soft paper towels will be perfect.
A simple sauce created by blending vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper is the perfect companion to butter lettuce.
Of course, you can add to it shallots, fines herbs such as thyme, tarragon, chives, or cooked eggs. You can also replace the vinegar with fresh lemon juice.
Why not make Roasted Baby Beets with Salad and Feta Cheese instead? Light, healthy, and super delicious.
Leftover chicken? Make some super fun lettuce wraps with it.
- Always start by dissolving the salt with the vinegar in a large salad bowl. The acidity of the vinegar will dissolve the salt, thus not having huge chunks of crunchy salt in your mouth when eating it.
- Once the salt has dissolved, add the olive oil. The rule of them is always 1 tablespoon vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil. Whisk them well together until a smooth sauce is created.
- At this juncture, you can add the shallots, herbs that you wish to enjoy with your butter lettuce.
- When you mix the salad with the vinaigrette do it at the last minute as the vinegar will wilt the salad if sitting in it too long. Gently fold as to not bruise the salad.
- When storing the butter lettuce, place it in a clean plastic bag. I usually wrap a paper towel around it so the outer leaves do not get bruised.
I told you it was a ritual..
Butter Lettuce with Shallots Vinaigrette
- 5 mins prep
- serves 4 people
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (white wine vinegar is fine too)
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 small shallot, diced
1 head of Butter lettuce
freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
In a large bowl add the salt and vinegar. Mix well with a fork until the salt is dissolved. Add the mustard, pepper, shallots and blend well.
Add the olive oil, slowly and steady and whisk until smooth.
Wash the butter lettuce. Torn into pieces and add it to the vinaigrette and gently fold the lettuce until all the leaves are covered.
If you liked my recipe, you’re sure to love these useful products and related dishes.