Bibb lettuce, roasted beets, and feta cheese tossed with oil and vinegar.
The very best things sometimes are the simplest of them all, and this recipe is precisely that.
Simplicity at its best.
I love the refreshing taste of beets in the spring and summer. Perfect for Mother’s Day brunch, lunch, or dinner too.
What are the benefits of eating roasted beets?
Beets are rich in folate, which helps cells grow and function. Beets are naturally high in nitrate.
Excellent for you as it has been found to help with diabetes and improve cognitive functions and metabolic markers.
Also, reduce inflammation.
Is bibb lettuce and butter lettuce the same thing?
Butter lettuce is a type of lettuce that includes Bibb and Boston lettuce.
Known for the loose, round-shaped head of tender sweet leaves.
Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed to make this easy bibb lettuce, roasted beets, and feta cheese recipe.
This is a quick introduction. Please read the recipe for complete instructions.
Beets: for successfully roasting them evenly, ensure they are all the exact sizes. Have fun and select between the dark deep purple beets and the light orange ones. Both are so delicious.
Bibb lettuce: The gentle salad, as I love to call it. Delicate and rich in flavor. Remember to massage it when you coat it with the dressing. It should be enjoyed right the way so as not to wilt.
Feta cheese: I recommend purchasing the block that you will crumble.
Olive oil: I use light olive oil as I enjoy the flavor as it does not interfere with the flavor of all the ingredients
Red wine vinegar: gives that gentle kick to your salad and blends beautifully with the feta cheese. A little bit goes a long way.
I only recommend what I use and love.
Aluminum foil: to wrap each beet to roast in the oven
Cookie sheet (optional): just in case the juices spill over, this will prevent dirtying your oven.
Large bowl: mix all your ingredients to serve your roasted beets recipe.
Whisk: I always use a whisk with silicone coating not to leave gray marks on my dishes. , of course, a fork will do the job as well.
Cooking tips and step-by-step instructions to create this excellent salad of bibb lettuce, roasted beets, and feta cheese
I selected small beets for this recipe, and the roasting time is set accordingly. However, do not let my selection deter you from purchasing larger ones.
The roasting time is close to the same. The best way to test it is to squeeze them; if there is no resistance, they are ready.
Another way to test is to insert a knife in the most significant middle part; if it smoothly goes in, it is ready.
- Wash the bets well and remove any filaments that you see. Cut the long stem and leave about one inch.
- Wrap them in foil and roast them in the oven.
- Once done, remove them from the oven and let them cool off before handling them.
- Slightly pinch the outer skin, and it will start to peel off.
Store them in the refrigerator or proceed with the recipe at this junction.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by first mixing the salt with the vinegar.
- Once dissolved, add the oil and whisk gently until a nice creamy sauce is formed.
- Add the beets and salad and gently toss or massage, to coat all the leaves.
- Add your feta cheese at the last minute or on each plate.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Is it better to peel the beets before or after roasting?
There is no need to peel before or after, as the skin is edible and almost disappears during baking.
Can we roast the beets ahead of time?
Yes, you can roast them several days ahead of being used.
What is Bibb lettuce?
A variety of butter lettuce is also known as limestone or Boston lettuce.
Light in color and milder in flavor. The leaves are very delicate and tender.
The name butter comes from the texture, not the flavor.
Once the beets are soft and done, they can be stored in the refrigerator whole for several days.
Once the salad is assembled, the bib salad cannot be stored as it will wilt with the acidity of the vinegar.
If you enjoy this delicious roasted baby beets with salad and feta cheese, look at my other recipes.
Equipment needed to create this recipe
Bibb Lettuce, Roasted Beets, and Feta Cheese
- 10 small baby beets
- 1 bibb Lettuce
- crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Clean the beets and leave about 1 inch of the stems. Wrap them in aluminum foil and roast them at 350F for about 1 hour to 1½ hours.
- Remove from foil and allow to cool. Then peel the skin by gently rubbing it off. You can leave them whole or slice them as you prefer.
- Add the beets and the salad to the bowl and gently toss until all the dressing cover the leaves.
- Serve on a plate and sprinkle the crumble feta cheese over it
Giangi’s Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Visit my Amazon Storefront for my selection of favorite kitchen essentials. I only recommend equipment that I use and love.
Published initially on May 3rd, 2019. Updated content and photos on April 9, 2023.