With the abundance of zucchini and summer squash at the market, having a new quiche in the repertoire would be easy.
Store-bought zucchini will work fine too. As with all vegetables, always use them within days of purchasing them.
Adding some feta cheese allowed the zucchini to stand up with flavor and complimented each other.
A quick and easy spin to the traditional quiche Lorraine.
A quick and easy dinner or lunch, either way, you will enjoy the fantastic flavors. As you can see, the option is endless.
Create your new dish by starting with this recipe and adding your flavor to it.
In this Article
- Difference Between Feta Cheese and Goat Cheese
- Substitutions and variations
- Tips and how to make this Zucchini Feta Cheese Quiche to perfection
- Working on the custard
- What to eat with your zucchini quiche?
- Storage instructions
- What to do with the remaining feta cheese?
- If you enjoy this dish, check out these flavorful recipes:
- Zucchini, Feta Cheese Quiche
Difference Between Feta Cheese and Goat Cheese
- Sheep and goat. The feta is mostly sheep milk. Goat cheese is made with goat milk.
- Of course, Feta has a nuttier, tangy, and salty taste. Most of it is brined in the curing process.
- Both kinds of cheese are a great source of vitamin B. However, feta is a better source of vitamins B6 and B12.
- Goat cheese is crumblier cheese.
Substitutions and variations
- You can substitute goat cheese with feta cheese. Just remember that feta is saltier; therefore, adjust your seasoning accordingly.
- Spinach instead of zucchini. Part cook if using fresh spinach. Roughly chop them before adding them to the egg-cream mixture.
- Use goat cheese and part mozzarella. Adjust your salt and pepper seasoning if going this route.
- Swiss cheese is another excellent substitution for your zucchini quiche recipe.
- Add some blanched bacon or cooked leftover chicken for an earthy winter dinner.
- Sprinkle some paprika with the egg mixture.
- Add some sauteed translucent shallots or onions. They will add a nice savory flavor.
- I use the regular zucchini. However, you may want to try the yellow kind.
Tips and how to make this Zucchini Feta Cheese Quiche to perfection
- I removed a couple of lengthwise strips of zucchini skin. This removed some bitterness and added a decorative touch to the dish. This step is optional.
- When shopping for zucchini, ensure they are all the same size to cook in uniform.
- The feta cheese crumbles well with the eggs.
- Greek feta is in a block form. I found it easier to work with and with a lot more flavor.
- I recommend beating the eggs and feta cheese together.
- In the recipe, I used medium size eggs. However, If you have large eggs, please use three instead.
- Use a deep dish pie tart for baking this wonderful zucchini recipe.
- When using a pie pan, ensure the borders are high enough for the egg-milk or cream mixture not to overflow.
- You can substitute the heavy cream with whole milk. Add a fit of flour (1 tablespoon) to thicken the cream.
- Protect the crust of the quiche with a pie cover or aluminum foil.
- Pre-cook the pie crust according to the packaging direction. Do the same if you choose to make your pie shell.
- Grease the pie dish well or it will stick. Use heavy cream instead of milk. You can make this a crustless quiche. Add a bit more flour so it will solidify.
- Place the pie dish on a cookie sheet in the middle of the rack to eliminate unwanted spilling in your oven.
- I have a regular oven; use your oven manufacturing direction to adjust the cooking time.
Please wait 15 minutes before eating it, as the cooked zucchini can burn you hot.
Working on the custard
I suggest using heavy cream or milk to create a rich custard-like consistency. Add a tablespoon of flour for the best results.
However, I do not recommend replacing the milk with oat, almond, or soy. Not the same consistency, and you will not have the same end flavor.
Bring large eggs to room temperature before assembling your quiche filling.
You can enjoy this savory zucchini feta cheese quiche, either hot from the oven or cold.
What to eat with your zucchini quiche?
Carrot salad is a great side dish for a healthy lunch or dinner.
Alternatively, mix greens to make a salad. Either way, you’ll have a nutritious meal.
Please wait for your quiche to be completely cooled off before storing it.
It stores well using plastic wrap. The baked zucchini dish will last a couple of days in the refrigerator.
What to do with the remaining feta cheese?
Feta cheese is a great cheese to have around as you can enjoy it in so many different ways.
- A wonderful Greek salad is adding some crumbled feta to it.
- I enjoy adding some of the shredded cheese to my omelet.
- Baked feta with tomatoes or zucchini.
- The ultimate pasta topping for a summer Mediterranean flair. Do not forget the olives too.
Excellent to bring to any summer pool party, office gathering, or picnic.
Everyone will enjoy it. Sliced or cut into small cubes, so easy to serve.
If you enjoy this dish, check out these flavorful recipes:
Equipment Used to Create This Recipe
Zucchini, Feta Cheese Quiche
- 3 zucchini, small bands of out skin removed at intervals and the zucchini thinly sliced
- 5 ounces feta cheese
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 pastry shell crust , (Pillsbury)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Roll out the pastry shell crust in a round pie tart mold. Poke with a fork a few times the pastry, do not make big holes.
- Cover the pastry crust borders. Use a pie cover or a small strip of aluminum foil. Roll the foil to cover the borders.
- Bake in the hot oven for 7 minutes. when done, remove and let it rest.
- Arrange the zucchini slices on the pie tart mold in a round pattern and cover with the egg feta mixture.
- Cover the edge of the mold with pie cover or aluminum foil. Please place it in the hot oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden in the top and the center is done.
Giangi’s Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Visit my Amazon Storefront for my selection of favorite kitchen essentials. I only recommend equipment that I use and love.