Zucchini Provolone Pasta. Summer bounty is in our fresh vegetables and fruits gracing our grocery stores and farmers’ markets.
Zucchini is one of our favorites as well as being one of the most versatile, in my opinion, vegetables.
And then there is cheese. A day without cheese for me is like a day without coffee or ice cream, or salad, you catch my drift. Smoked provolone is one of my favorites.
Not easy to find thus when the market has some, it comes home with me.
Put to good use with this recipe, the provolone adds some extra depth to the pasta. As it melts it created an excellent cream with envelops the pasta with lots of flavors.
As I was doing some search on how best to use my two favorite ingredients, zucchini, and provolone, I found many versions of the below recipe.
This is my simplified version after a few trials. The excellent base flavor is ever so present, however, I made it easier to prepare and added my touch to it.
The best part: 6 ingredients – 15 minutes of preparation.
I love the simplicity, and is perfect for every work night dinner.
Cooking tips to make this wonderful recipe of zucchini provolone pasta
I am suggesting the below tips to help you successfully make this dish on your first try.
- I recommend using fettuccine or linguine as they are more adequate to absorb the sauce.
- Cook the pasta for two (2) minutes under the packaging cooking time for “al dente”. Worry not; the pasta will continue cooking with the cheese and the zucchini.
- Remove the pasta with kitchen thongs to save as much as possible of cooking water as you need.
- Grate the cheese making sure there are no lumps. You want the cheese to melt uniformly and a lump will not melt that quickly.
I am confident you and your family will love this super easy and delicious dish of Zucchini Provolone Pasta.
If you enjoy this dish, check out these flavorful recipes:
Zucchini Provolone Pasta
- 1 pound fettuccine pasta 1 pound fettuccine pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 zucchini 3 zucchini, cleaned and sliced in ¼ inch rounds
- 2 garlic cloves 2 garlic cloves, peeled. and core removed
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese 2 tablespoons grated parmesan. cheese
- 1½ cup smoked provolone cheese 1½ cup smoked provolone cheese grated with no lumps
- Salt and Pepper Salt and Pepper
- Basil Basil leaves (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil with the garlic and bring to warm hot but not smoking. Add the zucchinis and cook until golden turning them over often. Remove the garlic as soon as it turns golden and discard.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water and remove 2 minutes prior to al dente according to packaging cooking time. Add them to the large skillet with the zucchinis with the help of kitchen thongs.
- Add all the cheese to the skillet. Add some water to slowly continue the cooking and melting the cheese. Continue stirring until all the cheese is melted and the pasta is ready. Add more cooking water as you go along to keep the pasta moist
- Grind a couple of rounds of black pepper, salt if needed, and serve hot. Optional: cut up pieces of basil and more provolone
Giangi's Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram