Chicken parmigiana or chicken parmesan recipe. One of those dishes we are never tired of and cannot get enough of, at least at my house.
Chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded, are a treat. You can also use chicken thighs too.
Either way, skinless and boneless.
Tomato sauce and mozzarella goodness melted all over. What is there not to like? Breaded chicken with tons of flavor.
In this Article
What is Chicken Parmigiana?
One of the most beloved dishes and quite popular as well. Chicken breasts or thighs that are pounded to the same thickness. Seasoned and dredged either with panko or breadcrumbs.
Fried to a perfect crisp on the outside and soft inside.
Once done, the chicken cutlets are placed on a cookie sheet, tomato sauce poured over it, and a generous slice of mozzarella cheese. Finish baking in the oven until the mozzarella has melted and starts to bubble.
Tips on how to make this Chicken Parmigiana dish to perfection
This is an effortless dish to prepare. A few steps will require your attention. I chose to combine Panko for the breading of the chicken. Lighter and less prone to absorb the oil when frying. Of course, you can omit if you have none on hand.
- Chicken breasts are primarily thick and do not cook evenly. By butterflying and pounding the chicken, you will find it will cook thru faster.
- In my breading, I always use Panko, light Japanese bread crumbs. I love the lightness of it, and when fried, the panko does not retain the oil making your dish lighter.
- Always season your boneless skinless chicken breasts with lots of salt and pepper.
- Add some parmesan cheese to the panko for an even cheesier taste
- I am close to my Italian roots for the tomato sauce, which is light and straightforward. I do not like to take away from the goodness of the chicken. Thus, I use a straightforward tomato sauce enhanced by fresh basil.
- However, do use your favorite tomato sauce or jar of tomato sauce. I leave the tomato sauce to you for a couple of tablespoons or half a cup.
- I am more on the safe side regarding herbs and spices. Please use the one you enjoy the most and the one you have on hand. Fresh gives it a more fragrant scent. Dry herbs, you may want to add a bit more.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer your baked chicken
I love it. Therefore, I added the thickest slices I could get away with. Remember that the thicker they are, they will not melt as fast.
I would not use burrata as it will be too mushy and render your chicken too wet. Shredded mozzarella will work well.
Watch for the cooking time, as you do not want your chicken undercooked.
Cookie or baking dish
- One of the most used and highly recommended items in my kitchen, when I prepare this dish, is always the three trays from Hulisen. They have so many uses and are always around me when cooking.
- Cookie sheets, baking sheets, or sheet pans work great here. Whichever you use, make sure they are shallow dishes. Line aluminum foil is perfect, with less cleaning at the end.
- A baking dish will also do the trick, always lined for easy cleaning.
- Add some garlic powder to your flour to add an extra layer of spiciness to this dish.
Every oven cooks differently. Keep an eye on your chicken parmigiana when in the oven, as it will burn faster than you think.
When preparing pasta, you may want to start boiling the water before placing the chicken in the oven.
Side dishes suggestions:
- Pasta is always our favorite and always asked for. Penne, farfalle, spaghetti. Anything that your heart desires. Use some of the same tomato sauce, and it will be perfect.
- Spinach Salad with Citrus: You may say an odd combination. However, enjoyed after the chicken parmigiana, it will be very refreshing and an excellent finish.
- Tomato Arugula Salad. One of my favorites, with 7 ingredients and 15 minutes, and always so delicious.
- Butter Lettuce with Shallots Vinaigrette. Safe, delicious, and super healthy. You may want to skip the shallots if you have none on hand.
Within 30 minutes, this wonderful chicken recipe is on your table. Enjoy this super easy and delicious dish, and just have fun creating your version.
More delicious recipes to try:
Equipment and Ingredients used to create this recipe.
- Preheat oven at 350°
- Pound the chicken breast or tights, between plastic wrap, until they are even and ¼ inch thick.
- Coat the chicken on both sides with the flour mixture, shaking off any excess, then dip both sides into the egg mixture and dredge both sides in the bread crumbs mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan, ½ inch up to the skillet side, and cook breaded thighs on medium-high for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until the chicken is golden brown on each side. Do not overcrowd the skillet. Remove and place in a cookie sheet.
- Smear tomato sauce over the chicken and top with a mozzarella slice.
- Place in the oven and cook until the mozzarella has melted.
Giangi’s Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Visit my Amazon Storefront for my selection of favorite kitchen essentials. I only recommend equipment that I use and love.