Chile shrimps with butter beans and lemony couscous.
Adding a bit of spice in my cooking is fun. It is a gradual process however, I am not that brave after all.
I always have frozen shrimps handy, thanks to Pete at Personal Gourmet Foods.
Running out of ideas for dinner I decided to ask my son what he wanted, and he suggested couscous. What a great idea! Why not combine the two.
I love lemon and I use it everyday on anything I can. With this dish I decided at the last-minute to sprinkle some all over it, and it really released the flavor of the butter beans and couscous.
TIP: Have all the ingredients ready when you start the couscous, as this dish will not take longer than 10 minutes to prepare and you do not want to eat it cold.
Chile Shrimps with Butter Beans and Lemony Couscous
- 2/3 cup couscous 2/3 cup couscous
- 3 tbsps olive oil 3 tablspoons olive oil
- 1 pound shrimps 1 pound shelled and deveined shrimps
- 0.5 teaspoon red bell pepper 1/2 teaspoon crushed red bell pepper
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 15 ounces butter beans 1 - 15 ounces can drained and rinsed butter beans
- 2 tbsps capers 2 tablespoons rinsed capers
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice 1 1/2 tablespoon + some lemon juice
- 1 tbsp parsley 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- In a large heatproof bowl, stir the couscous with ¾ cup of boiling water. Cover with a lid and steam for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile in a nonstick skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the shrimps and crushed red pepper and cook over medium high heat until golden, 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the butter to the skillet, then the beans, capers and lemon juice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Fold the beans mixture, parsley and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the couscous, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with the shrimps, squeeze a drizzle of lemon juice over the entire dish.
Giangi's Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram