This sinfully delicious “Raspberry Fool” is here to take over your dessert repertoire. Super easy to prepare, it’s love with each spoonful… Adults, as well as children, will love you for it.
Did I tell you it only takes three ingredients? That makes it even better in my book.
Soft and fragrant raspberry cooked with sugar and water until soft. Press through a sieve to get all the puree.
Adding this wonderful puree to whipped cream is just as sinful as possible and so fast to put together.
I used to prepare this often when my son was little. The perfect treat for the afternoon or dinner.
Always a hit on Valentine’s Day for the whole family or that special person in your life.
In this Article
- Why you will love this recipe
- Origins of this dessert
- Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed
- Easy to prepare.
- Cooking tips and step-by-step instructions to create this excellent raspberries and cream dessert
- Chef’s tips:
- If you enjoy this dish, check out those flavorful recipes;
- Shop This Post
- Raspberry Fool – The perfect date dessert
Why you will love this recipe
- With only three ingredients, you will have a fantastic dessert ready for any occasion.
- An economical dessert that will satisfy your craving and not break the bank.
- It is ready in 30 minutes and stores well if you plan to enjoy it later in the day.
Origins of this dessert
“Foole” as it was called, was first mentioned as a dessert around 1598, made of clouted cream. The earliest recipe for fruit fool dates back to the mid-17th century.
Why it is called Fool is not entirely clear. This dessert first originated with gooseberry. Today, you can find it with raspberry as well as apricots.
In the culinary world, there are trends and expansions of recipes.
Fool refers to cooked fruits with custard or whipped cream. It was determined that once fool derived from the French fouler, meaning to crush, as in berries.
However, the Oxford English Dictionary dismissed the idea since the early fools did not contain fruits.
Not only the perfect end to a great dinner but also a great afternoon dessert with your children.
Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed
This recipe is straightforward and only requires a few ingredients:
Fresh raspberries – They are the best with this recipe as the frozen ones will retain too much moisture, making this dessert soggy.
Sugar – granulated sugar brings sweetness to this dessert.
Whipping cream – transforming it into whipped cream, my favorite part 🙂
Water – to bring some moisture to the raspberries when cooking them.
Easy to prepare.
The preparation of this sinful raspberry recipe is relatively easy. After cooking the raspberries for 15 minutes, transfer the raspberry mixture to a small bowl, and with a rubber spatula, mash the raspberries.
You will remain with the raspberry puree and toss the tiny seeds.
In a bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold the raspberry mixture into the cream.
YOu can add some powdered sugar if you want a hint of sweetness.
Cooking tips and step-by-step instructions to create this excellent raspberries and cream dessert
- This recipe is only for 2, thus make sure you use the below size changer to make it for more people.
- Use fresh raspberries. It will not be the same with frozen as it will turn to mush and lose the fragrance of the raspberry itself.
- Use a mesh that is not too fine.
- Add the fresh raspberry coulis to the whipped cream once they are cooler. The heat will curl the cream and turn it into liquid.
- Whatever you do, please keep a keen eye on the raspberries when they are cooking. Even at low heat, they managed to escape, and I had to clean them for a bit as the juice was quite sticky.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill for about one hour or so.
- You can prepare a larger batch and store it in the refrigerator to be enjoyed at will.
- or serve it in tiny little sherry glasses for a dramatic presentation.
This wonderful raspberry fool recipe is perfect for any time of the year.
I love that this dessert is low in saturated fat.
I would recommend saving a couple of fresh fruits to use as decoration.
You can also save some of the raspberry coulis and enjoy it over ice cream.
Do not have raspberry on hand? No worries, you can replace them with fresh apricots by using the same cooking method.
If you enjoy this dish, check out those flavorful recipes;
Shop This Post
Raspberry Fool – The perfect date dessert
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ⅔ cup whipping cream
- Set aside 2 raspberries for garnish
- Combine remaining raspberries with sugar and water in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Press raspberries through a fine sieve and let it cool.
- Beat whipping cream in medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold strained berries into cream in batches. Spoon into goblets. Top each with 1 raspberry and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Giangi’s Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Originally published on February 11, 2017. Updated on April 16, 2022.