Puff pastry blueberry galette. Blueberries are abundant this time of year, and I believe they deserve to be honored by making a dessert with them—Heaven with each bite.
With this super easy puff pastry blueberry galette, you will reminisce all the summer flavors and memories while enjoying a flaky pastry filled with lemon sugar-infused blueberries. An experience not easily forgotten, at least on our books.
Galette is an easy way to showcase blueberries or any fruits without the stress of making a pie. A luscious flaky pastry that envelops perfectly ripe blueberries in a free-form.
The marinate of the blueberries with the lemon juice and the zest gives it such a fresh, uplifting flavor to your galette. A must!
Difference between a galette and a pie
A galette is a round free-form pastry in which fruits are wrapped and baked on a baking sheet. Quite easy to make as they do not require a specific shape to be made into.
A pie is a sweet or savory dish with a crust evenly placed in a baking dish, adding a filling.
- If your blueberries are very sweet, you may want to reduce the amount of sugar used.
- You can prepare the filling the night before, store it in the refrigerator. Before baking, please bring it back to room temperature.
- Cornstarch is a binding agent that is flavorless, thus not altering the flavor of the fruits.
- It freezes well, unbaked, and you can transfer it directly from the freezer to the oven and bake as directed.
- The bottom crust is made large enough that it comes up slightly over the fruit filling.
- For time-saving, I used an already made puff pastry. Having time in your hands, you may want to make the crust yourself.
- Preferably use parchment paper. It absorbs better the slight wetness of the pie once out of the oven.
- For a crunchier crust, add some extra sugar to the flour when you roll it. Optional, of course.
Although you may be tempted to enjoy a slice as soon as it emerges from the oven, let it cool off for a bit. Slice into wedges and enjoy it as it or with your favorite vanilla ice cream.
Feel free to improvise your own galette with any mixes that you fancy. The rustic appearance is the perfect dessert recipe for those who enjoy baking but do not want to fuss with the crust.
You may want to try those desserts as well:
- Raspberry Buttermilk Cake
- Fresh Fruits with Chantilly – A French Tradition
- Mascarpone Roasted Peaches
Products and Equipment used to prepare this wonderful recipe
Puff Pastry Blueberry Galette
- 55 mins total
- 10 mins prep
- 45 mins cook
- serves 6 people
3 cups blueberries fresh or frozen (no need to thaw)
1½ tablespoon cornstarch
1½ tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon lemon zest
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon for sprinkling
1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream for brushing
1 sheet puff pastry thawed
Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F and line a sheet pan with parchment/baking paper.
Combine the blueberries with sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cornstarch. Mix well then set aside.
Pile the blueberry filling into the center of the pastry then bring the edges in, overlapping as you fold the pastry up around the filling all the way around.
Brush with milk or cream and sprinkle with a little extra sugar.
Bake the galette in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp and the blueberries are soft, and the filling has thickened slightly.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving with ice cream.
If you liked my recipe, you’re sure to love these useful products and related dishes.