Roasted bell peppers and tomatoes soup with grilled cheese sandwiches
Making a shopping run to one of our wholesale bulk shopping store, Costco, can be an adventure. Yes, you end up buying way more than you need, after all who needs two huge jars of Nutella, but when the price is half than your regular store you do not think twice about adding it to your overflowing cart. And if you time your excursion right, you can pretty much have lunch there too with all the great food sampling that are teasing you at each corner isle.
I am not a shopper when it comes to my regular grocery store, I shop with a list and I am a mission: how fast can I get out of here. But at our wholesale store…. well that is a different story. I stroll each isle, I look at everything. Maybe that is why I also try all the food sampler, I am building an appetite with all the walking that I do. This time I was on a mission to buy some Nonni Chocolate dipped biscotti. That was it. Blind folds on, I walked in. Of course it did not happed the way I had it planned and came home with organic roasted pepper and tomato soup, roasted bell peppers packed in olive oil, couple of different cheeses, and much, much more.
Could you believe I never had tomato soup until I was an adult? I must admit I as a bit skeptical at first. Tomatoes were only to be enjoyed in salads, or tomatoes sauce and that was about it. I was hooked from the first spoonful and now every time I see it on a menu, I always order it. Seeing it with roasted bell peppers, I could not resist to take it home and give it a try. With all my new purchases put away, I decided to prepare the soup that I just purchased, that same night. It may be still in the 80’s outside, but it is November after all, and soup is just want my heart wanted.
Roasted Bell Peppers and Tomatoes Soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 32 ounces roasted red peppers tomatoes soup 32 ounces Pacific roasted red peppers and tomatoes soup
- 8 roasted bell peppers olive oil 8 large cut in chunks roasted bell peppers packed in olive oil
- 0.5 cup sun dried tomatoes olive oil 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 4 slices bacon 4 slices cut into thin slices bacon
- 8 slices white bread 8 slices white bread
- 4 slices Havarti cheese 4 slices Havarti cheese
- 2 slices mozzarellas 2 sliced mozzarellas
- In a medium sauce pan over medium low heat add the roasted red pepper and tomatoes soup, the roasted red bell peppers cut in chunks and the sun dried tomatoes. Bring to a gentle boil. About 10 to 15 minutes.
- In another pan cook the orzo pasta into salted boiling water until al dente.
- Crisp the bacon in a small skillet and set aside.
- When the soup is hot transfer it to a blender, or use an emersion blender, and blend until smooth. Place it back into the saucepan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the pasta to the soup and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes at very low simmer.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the grilled cheeses. Preheat a grill pan or a panini machine. Butter slightly each slices of bread. Add the cheeses in top of four slices of bread and top with the remaining bread slices, butter facing the cheese. Butter slightly the outside or each sandwiches and place on our grill pan or panini machine, butter side down. Slightly butter the side facing up.
- Close the lid of the panini machine and grill at #4 for 5 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese has melted. On the grill pan, flip once when is golden brown and golden brown the other side.
- Pour the soup into bowls, top with bacon bits and grilled cheese sandwiches along side.
Giangi's Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram