Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup.
As fall is settling everywhere in the Northern Hemisphere except on our side of the world where 100F is still the daily norm, I am bringing you a soup out of desperation and want for summer to be over with.
Super easy and with a short list of ingredients, primarily staples in the kitchen. Therefore, will not require a memorable trip to the store.
This soup is ready to be enjoyed in less than 45 minutes.
I know roasted cauliflower soup may not strike your fancy. However, before you brush it off, give it a try; you will be surprised how tasty it is.
Roasting the Cauliflower
A natural caramelization occurs by roasting the cauliflower, giving this soup a greater depth of flavor.
Yellow onions are milder in flavor, and if you can find Vidalia, I highly recommend you use them. Pure sweetness and so enjoyable.
Using fresh herbs such as thyme, it brings out the natural flavor to the dish. The freshly ground nutmeg, my favorite, gives it the je ne sais quoi to this dish. A true flavor enhancer.
Season the cauliflower florets with salt and pepper to your liking. I like to go easy on the salt. Personal choice, of course.
Do toss the cauliflower before going in the oven to ensure all florets are nicely seasoned.
This roasted cauliflower recipe will take approximately 20 minutes in the oven.
I like to use a blender instead of an immersion blender for this recipe. You want this soup to be creamy and silky.
I use Vitamix, the affiliate link below (a great any occasion present) to make all my soups. The velvety texture is all I can think of.
Always sprinkle something over your soup. Here you can sprinkle the bacon, thyme, and more cheese.
Cooking tips and step by step to make this wonderful cauliflower soup recipe
- This roasted cauliflower soup can be made up to a certain point, indicated in the recipe, ahead of time.
- Oven-roasting cauliflower will enhance the flavor of the soup.
- It can also be made vegetarian by substituting chicken broth with vegetable broth.
- Furthermore, you can substitute the bacon with vegan bacon. However, add some olive oil to work the onions. Perfect for your family and friends that have special dietary needs.
- Are you lactose intolerant? Not to worry, replace the milk and cream with vegetable broth. Parmesan cheese has very little lactose, about 0.1 grams per ounce, and thus can be enjoyed.
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! I love to hear from you.
Are you looking for more delicious recipes?
You may want to try:
Equipment used to prepare this wonderful recipe:
Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- 1 large cauliflower head, trimmed and diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup yellow onion, (Vidalia if you can)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- parmesan, thyme, parmesan, thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a large bowl combine cauliflower and oil, stirring to combine. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking sheet and bake until is browned 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven pot, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and let it cool. Crumble and set aside.
- Add onions to the bacon fat and cook stirring often until tender, 5 minutes. Add roasted cauliflower, broth, thyme, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In the container of a blender, puree soup, if necessary, in batches, until smooth, (the soup can be made a day ahead at this point and refrigerated overnight)Return to pan and add milk, cream, and cheese. Cook over medium heat until soup is heated through and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with bacon, thyme, and cheese, if desired.
Giangi’s Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Visit my Amazon Storefront for my selection of favorite kitchen essentials. I only recommend equipment that I use and love.