Often I wait until there is nothing left in the refrigerator to go grocery shopping. With that said, I am also faced with the dilemma of using what is left to create a meal with it. Tonight I had some help from my son and this is all it came down to it.
Son: Mom, what’s for dinner tonight?
Mom: Honey, open the refrigerator
Son: Ok!!! So…. (staring at the refrigerator) what’s for dinner?
Mom: Open the vegetables bin and tell me what we have
Son: Tomatoes, carrots, broccolis, basil, parsley, thyme….
Mom: Well… That, is what’s for dinner tonight.
Son: All vegetables???? But I am hungry.
Mom: No worries, I can add some pasta or rice to that, what do you prefer?
Son: Pasta and not all those veggies
Mom: Sorry!! Veggies it is ( happy smile)
Son: Mom, remind me of this conversation next time I ask what’s for dinner.
Mom: Why?? This is fun
Son: … Yes, mom…. I am happy you are having fun….
Dinner was created as I was going along and that was fun, and yes, he ate it all if you wonder and asked for seconds. Indeed, I am a happy mom.
Shrimps and Pasta Surprise
- 0.25 yellow onion 1/4 thinly sliced yellow onion
- 2 heads broccolis 2 heads, florets separated broccolis
- 4 carrots 4 peeled and made into ribbons carrots
- 1 garlic 1 peeled garlic clove
- 2 tbsps olive oil 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes 1 container, halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 flat-leaf parsley 1 tablsepoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp basil 1 tablespoon julienned basil
- 1 pound shrimps 1 pound uncooked, deshelled tail off shrimps
- 1 pound pasta 1 pound bucatini pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a full boil and add the pasta. Cook the pasta according to package instructions for timing. 2 minutes’ prior of the end of cooking add the broccolis florets into the boiling pot. Drain and set aside.
- Add the carrots and parsley. Stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and the shrimps and mix well until the shrimps are cooked thru.
- Sprinkle with basil and add the pasta with broccolis.
- Mix well and serve hot.
Giangi's Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram