Farfalle with peas, ham, and cream. Quick and easy Italian dinner recipe that can be made in less than 20 minutes.
This wonderful creamy pasta recipe is super simple to make and a great way to use any leftover ham that you may have.
I selected farfalle, or bow ties, not because they are my favorite pasta, but also because the sauce sits well in the little bow part of the pasta thus allowing you to get all the wonderful flavors. Penne or rigatoni are an alternate good choice. Whichever past you choose, make sure that it is tubular. I enjoy cooking pasta al dente or to the bite.
To make this dish a bit lighter you can substitute the heavy cream with whole milk. Add more cheese as it will thicken the sauce a bit. You do not want a runny sauce but neither too thick. I do not recommend using almond milk or coconut milk either.
While the water comes to a boil you can start cooking the peas, ham, and cream sauce. As they say in Italy, pasta does not wait for you, you wait for it.
- While you are cooking the pasta start preparing the peas, ham, and cream sauce. Use a large skillet that you can add to the cooked pasta.
- Before draining the farfalle pasta, save a cup of the cooking water. This will help to thin the sauce if need be. The water contains the natural starch
- More than welcome to use frozen peas and if you have fresh do not hesitate. The flavor will not be compromised.
- Cook the pasta a minute less than the packaging recommended time or al dente. Adding it to the cream sauce it will finish cooking.
- Instead of ham, you can replace it with prosciutto. Although a great combination, beware of not over-salting your dish as the prosciutto is cured with salt thus more salty by nature.
- Add some small chopped onion to the cream.
- I used Parmigiano Reggiano, you can replace it with pecorino romano.
You can use any tubular pasta with this dish. You want the sauce to be absorbed by the pasta. The cream is well balanced with the sweetness of the peas and the saltiness of the ham.
Hungry for more? Why not try making:
Products and Equipment used to make Farfalle with Peas, Ham, and Cream
Farfalle with Peas, Ham, and Cream
- 20 mins total
- 5 mins prep
- 15 mins cook
- serves 4 people
1 cup of peas
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
3 to 4 slices ham
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions.
In a skillet add the peas, butter, ham. Sautee for 5 minutes. Add the cream, salt, pepper, and cook under medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cream is slightly becoming thick. Remove from heat.
When the pasta is cooked and drained, return to the pan and add the sauce. Stir well and add the cheese.
Serve nice and hot.
If you liked my recipe, you’re sure to love these useful products and related dishes.