Nothing spells summer like fresh fruits. This time of year abundance of strawberries is everywhere. Why not use it with one of your favorite pies, apple pie?
This dessert is super easy to make and the combination of strawberries with sweet and tender apples, is just perfection anytime, any occasion.
- Of course, you are more than welcome to make your own dough, however, using an already made pastry crust can save you some time. I use Pillsbury, but any that are your favorite will do as well.
- Always poke lightly the pastry dough and bake it for at least 8 minutes. Place a pie ring around it to prevent the outer crust to burn. If you do not have one, use aluminum foil.
- Use Strawberries that are not too white at the end tip and not too soft either.
- My apple of preference is Gala and Fuji. Do not use red delicious as they are too watery and the result will not be the same at all.
- Mix the apple slices with the strawberries before placing them into the pre-baked pastry dough. Add the cream mixture.
- All ovens bake differently. To know if your pie is ready, check that the middle of the custard is done by shaking ever so lightly the pan. If no movement then it is done. My timing is based upon a regular very old electric oven.
If you are familiar with my Apple pie you will love this new recipe.
Strawberry Apple Pie
- 55 mins total
- 15 mins prep
- 40 mins cook
1 Pastry crust - I use Pillsbury
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 12 ounces basket of fresh strawberries, stem and white removed, sliced
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Preheat the oven to 400°.
Roll out the pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish. Make sure the crust is all the way up to the rim. Poke lightly the dough and place in the hot oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
Remove and let it cool off.
In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and brown sugar.
Add the sliced apples and strawberries to the pie dish. Cover with the egg mixture.
Place a pie shell shield to cover the border of the dough or make one with aluminum foil. Lower the heat to 375°. Bake the cake for 40 to 50 minutes. The top should be nice a golden brown, and the middle should not be runny.
If you liked my recipe, you’re sure to love these useful products and related dishes.