Salmon with Basil Mushroom Sauce
Introducing the Ultimate Salmon Sensation: A Swift Solution for Impromptu Feasts and Seafood Cravings!
When unexpected plans arise, or your taste buds yearn for the divine taste of salmon, fear not! Our wonderful salmon dinner dish is here to save the day and satisfy your cravings.
Light, delicate creamy sauce that is based on cream and wine. The mushrooms were sauteed to perfection.
And lastly, the basil gives a balance between the softness of the cream by adding a layer of flavor that is slightly minty.
The perfect combination of flavors
One skillet preparation and always a success. It has been gracing our tables for the past almost three decades. Ouch! This is not making me any young!
However, with time some adjustments have been made.
I was first introduced to an adaptation of this recipe at one of my favorite restaurants in Boston, which, unfortunately, is no longer there.
Great food and ambiance, and I was in fish heaven as I love fish. It has been so long ago that I do not remember the restaurant’s name.
I have been back to Boston numerous times, and each time I fell in love not only with the food scene but with the city itself.
To me is a bit like being in Europe in the USA. And the food is heaven for all palates.
In this Article
- What you will love about this easy pan-fried salmon with basil mushroom sauce.
- Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed to make this delicious salmon with basil mushroom sauce.
- Equipment needed
- Cooking tips and step-by-step instructions to make this excellent salmon with basil mushroom sauce
- Side Dish Suggestions
- If you enjoy this salmon with basil mushroom sauce recipe, check out these flavorful recipes:
- Salmon with Basil Sauce
What you will love about this easy pan-fried salmon with basil mushroom sauce.
- You will love the simplicity of all the ingredients, and besides the mushroom and the salmon, you will probably already have them in your pantry.
- Using only one pot to prepare this dish is a great bonus.
- It will take only 20 minutes from beginning to end, which is perfect on a busy night, and dinner cannot take long.
- Want to stay in for a dinner date with someone special? This is the dish I highly recommend. Easy and super savory, they will think you have spent hours in the kitchen preparing it.
Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed to make this delicious salmon with basil mushroom sauce.
This is a quick introduction. Please read the recipe for complete instructions.
Skinless salmon fillets: I used skinless salmon. However, you can use skin-on fish. Make sure they all are the same thickness and weight.
Mushrooms: Small and all of the same size will cook faster and easier. I used baby Bella and will give you a few substitutes below.
Unsalted butter: always use unsalted butter. You want to have control of the seasoning, and salted butter will not only add too much salt to your dish but change the flavor of it.
Fish stock: just enough to keep everything moist and give out steam once you cover your fish.
White wine: Use a good chardonnay or a dry white wine. I always recommend using the wine that I will have for dinner. My rule of thumb: I drink it, I cook with it. Of course, keep the price into consideration too.
Heavy cream: Helps create the perfect sauce, and while heating, it will thicken, too, giving you this velvety sauce.
Basil: The other star of this dish. The intense fragrance will appease once in contact with the heavy cream giving you a very flavorful sauce.
I only recommend what I use and love.
A sharp chef’s knife used to slice the mushrooms and finely slice the basil
Measuring cups to measure all your ingredients
Saute pan with a tight-fitting lid. Once you have sauteed the mushrooms and added the liquid ingredients to create the sauce, you will need a tight lid to continue cooking your salmon and yet hold all the steam and juices inside your saute pan.
Slotted fish spatula to remove the salmon from the saute pan to a serving dish.
Cooking tips and step-by-step instructions to make this excellent salmon with basil mushroom sauce
This is a quick introduction, and as you can see, the list of ingredients is short and includes essentials you may already have in your pantry. Please read the recipe for complete instructions.
- Cut the stalk off the mushroom and slice the mushroom into even slices.
- Saute the mushrooms in a large saute pan until they are golden brown.
- Add the fish stock, wine, and salmon to the pan. If adding skin-on salmon, ensure the skin is side up facing you. Cover and simmer.
- Once the salmon is done, please remove it from the pan and reduce the sauce to a light syrup consistency. This will happen fast. Keep a keen eye on your pan.
- Add the cream, basil, and any accumulated juices from the salmon, and reduce still for a minute.
- Season accordingly with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately by placing the salmon in the middle of the dish and spooning the sauce over it.
There is not too much substitution you can do with this dish. However, regarding the mushrooms:
- Cremini mushrooms are excellent with it.
- White mushrooms, shiitake, and if you want to step on the wild side, Chanterelle are the perfect pairing.
Fish stock is not something that we have on hand. But you can
- substitute with chicken stock or vegetable stock.
I am fully partial to salmon; to me, it is foolproof seafood. Not only it takes no time to cook, but it will also let you know when it will start to be overcooked by losing the shininess and not being so springy to the touch.
With that said, here are a few suggestions for substitutes.
- Sole, cod, and halibut may substitute the salmon.
Side Dish Suggestions
Keeping it simple is vital with this salmon basil sauce. The flavors are smooth and velvety with the sauce. Therefore the pairing should be as equally smooth and not overbearing.
Mashed potato is a great side dish for this entrée, but in my humble opinion, mashed potatoes go well with everything.
You may want to give your hand to Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions, a divine side dish.
On the other hand, Rice with Peas and Butter is always welcome and faster to prepare.
If you enjoy this salmon with basil mushroom sauce recipe, check out these flavorful recipes:
Get hooked on the salmon sensation of a lifetime—guaranteed to leave a lasting impression on your palate and memories that will be cherished forever.
Equipment needed to create this excellent salmon with basil mushroom sauce
Salmon with Basil Sauce
- 6 ounces salmon fillets, skinless
- ¼ pound mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- ⅓ cup fish stock
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup basil, loosely packed, finely shredded basil
- 4 basil leaves, for garnish
- Cut the mushroom stalks even with the caps and slice 1/8-inch thick
- Heat the butter in a 12-inch stainless steel sauté pan; add the mushrooms, and sauté on high heat, tossing all the time, until light golden brown.
- Add the fish stock, wine, and salmon. Cover and gently simmer for 7 to 10 minutes until the salmon is cooked through. To check if it is ready, insert a small sharp knife into the thickest part of each fillet to check if it is cooked through. Be careful not to over-cook or the salmon will be dry.
- Remove the salmon from the pan with a slotted spatula. Keep the fillets warm
- On a high heat, reduce the pan juices to a light syrupy consistency. Add the cream and shredded basil and continue to reduce until the mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon. Add any juices that have accumulated from the salmon and continue to reduce for a minute more. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Arrange the salmon on four dinner plates and spoon the sauce on top. Garnish each fillet with a basil leaf.
- Mushrooms should be small and all of the same size will cook faster and easier
- If adding skin-on salmon, ensure the skin is side up facing you.
Giangi’s Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Visit my Amazon Storefront for my selection of favorite kitchen essentials. I only recommend equipment that I use and love.
Originally published on April 23, 2017. Updated on June 28, 2023.