Easy Mushroom Salad with herbs. A cold mushroom salad that is very refreshing and welcomed any day.
I enjoy eating mushrooms. Although not all the members of our household agree with me, there is always room for a polite bite.
In actuality, mushrooms bring a touch of heartiness to most dishes.
As well as they can be prepared in so many different ways. Raw in a salad or as a salad, as we have it here.
Soup, roasted, sautéed, or baked in the oven. And let’s not forget in an omelet with parsley.
Not all mushrooms taste the same, and here I will use your regular edible white or brown cap mushrooms.
A simple salad with yogurt and lots of herbs give the mushrooms a savory new flavor dimension. Light and simple, you can make extra dressing and store it in the refrigerator for later use.
In this Article
- How to clean mushrooms:
- How to choose the right mushroom
- Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed to make this mushrooms and herbs salad recipe
- Equipment needed
- Cooking tips and step-by-step instructions to create this mushrooms and herbs salad
- Want to prepare this salad ahead of time?
- You may also add…
- Mushrooms recipes
- If you enjoy this delicious mushrooms and herbs salad, look at my other recipes.
- Easy Mushroom Salad with Herbs
How to clean mushrooms:
Slice off the bottom part of the stem. Clean with a gentle brush or paper towel to remove any dirt debris.
Using your fingertips, start peeling the top layer of the mushroom skin.
You can keep the mushrooms in the refrigerator crisper inside a brown lunch bag for 3 to 4 days. Once sliced, serve immediately.
Cut and vacuum-sealed, they can be placed in the freezer for up to a month.
Mushrooms have a lot of water content, and it is not advised to soak them in the water as they will absorb and retain moisture.
That is not ideal when cooking as they will not crips up but stay soggy.
How to choose the right mushroom
- The cap and steam need to be completely sealed, and you should not see any of the membranes underneath the cap.
- This does not apply to Portobello. Uniform color, no bruising. It should not have any strong smells.
- Fully sealed stem as well.
Clean, simple, healthy, and so easy to prepare.
Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed to make this mushrooms and herbs salad recipe
This is a quick introduction. Please read the recipe for complete instructions.
Mushrooms: white cap, and baby Bella are perfect for this salad
Garlic: who does not like garlic with our mushrooms? Grated brings out all the natural oil.
Ginger: add an uplifting flavor to your fresh salad. MIncing it, the ginger liquid brings acidity to your dish, which is welcomed.
Greek yogurt: Creates the dressing for your salad. Regular yogurt will do.
Lemon: brings acidity to your salad.
Parsley and chives: Two of my favorite herbs and the best complement to the cold mushroom salad recipe.
Olive oil: Light to not overpower your salad.
I only recommend what I use and love.
Sharp knife or a mandoline to finely slice your mushrooms.
Cutting board: cut the stem off and slice your herbs
Mixing bowl for your dressing
Large plate to serve your fresh mushroom salad
Cooking tips and step-by-step instructions to create this mushrooms and herbs salad
With this recipe, I used Greek yogurt. If you have regular yogurt is also acceptable, do not feel compelled to go out and shop. You want the dressing to be smooth and fluid.
If using thicker Greek yogurt, you may want to add more olive oil to make it more manageable.
- Remove the stem by cutting off even with the caps—store for later use.
- Slice the mushrooms with a sharp knife or a mandoline
- Grate the garlic with a small Microplane to extract all the juices and oils.
- Mince the ginger as small as you possibly can. Grate it if you so wish
- Finely chop the parsley and chives and keep them separate as the parsley will be mixed with the dressing, and the chives will top your salad.
- Juice the lemon
Create your dressing by mixing the yogurt, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
Want to prepare this salad ahead of time?
The dressing can be prepared beforehand as all the flavors will blend nicely.
However, if you are not serving it immediately, sprinkle some lemon juice over the mushrooms. The lemon juice will stop turning brown.
You may also add…
Add avocado to this delicious mushroom with herbs salad for a fuller lunch or a no-meat Monday night dinner. The avocado plays off against the herb and ginger.
Paired with romaine salad, it will take on the dressing well.
Drizzle a little bit of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon, and you have another delicious new meal.
You can substitute the romaine salad for some Belgian endives as well.
Mushrooms are so fun to cook with, and here are some of your and my favorite recipes:
If you enjoy this delicious mushrooms and herbs salad, look at my other recipes.
Easy Mushroom Salad with Herbs
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoons chives, finely snipped
- Clean the mushroom and cut the stem to be even with the cap. Finely slices them either with a mandolin or knife.
- In a bowl mix together yogurt with garlic, ginger, lemon juice, parsley, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- In a plate or large low rim bowl place the mushrooms and add the yogurt mixture to it. Mix well and serve immediately and sprinkle the chives over the dish.
Giangi’s Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Visit my Amazon Storefront for my selection of favorite kitchen essentials. I only recommend equipment that I use and love.
Originally published on February 1, 2021. Updated on June 8, 2023.