Steak with lemon-orange horseradish butter.
We are very fortunate to live in a wonderful area where we are abound of specialty grocery stores. My all times favorite is AJ’s Purveyors of fine foods. As soon as the doors are opening, you are entering this magical place where your imagination and creation is awaken. As a result I feel as I am transported back to Europe where each and every small specialty grocery stores is inviting you in.
I love to start by going directly to the fruits and vegetables department. The presentation alone gets me going and recipes are rushing to me. Most of all I just start getting creative and by touching and seeing all those wonderful fresh produce in front of me, I cannot resist to try new things.
While the vegetables and dessert, in the form of fresh fruit obviously, are selected and placed in my basket, I stroll along each isle to see what jumps at me.
It is therapeutic and rewarding on founding a great little pearl to cook with. My special pearl last night was “ Double Trouble Citrus” Horseradish by Great Roots, www.grateroots.com .
The young lady representing the product loved what she was doing and started sharing recipes with me. We spoke the same language. I ended up buying two jars and could not wait to get home to try them out.
As I was planning to have steak, I quite did not know how to incorporate it with the meal. Finally, it came to me: mix it with the butter and served it as it is done in restaurants. Therefore the recipe was created as I was going along. The lemon-orange horseradish gave it a nice kick and the added lemon juice infused the butter even more. Most of all, the recipe I made was more than needed, thus saving the remainder it in the freezer for the next time.
A simple side salad with shredded carrot, and sliced mushroom was the perfect pairing.
I enjoyed a nice glass of Cabernet.
For desert, fresh strawberries with sugar.
Steak with Lemon-Orange Horseradish Butter
- 6 ounces veal loin chops 4 6 ounces bone in veal loin chops, about 1 Inch thick
- 3 tbsps unsalted butter 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tbsps horseradish 2 tablespoons Lemon Orange horseradish
- 2 tsps flat-leaf parsley 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic 1 small finely chopped garlic clove
- 1 tsp lemon juice 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Let the steak rest at room temperature. Meanwhile prepare the Lemon – Orange Horseradish butter by finely chopping the parsley and garlic together. In a small bowl mix together the Horseradish, butter, lemon juice, parsley and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, use two skillets if the steak is too close to each other in the pan, place a large amount of fine salt. Heat the pan on high. When the pan is nicely hot, add the steaks and sear each side for a couple of minute per side. Lower the heat and cook another 3 minutes per side.
- Place the steaks on a plate and serve a dollop of the lemon orange horseradish butter in top of the steak.
Giangi's Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram