This easy recipe for summer peaches is delicious—simplicity at its best.
A soft and deliciously ripe sweet juicy peach baked over a slice of bread with loads of sugar and butter until they melt and start caramelization.
A delicious dessert can be enjoyed as an afternoon snack, at breakfast, why not, or at dinner time.
Let not the pictures fool you; not too photogenic, my peaches, but what it lacks in grit on the photo, it certainly makes it up in flavor.
This recipe is perfect and almost demands that the peaches be ripe. They offer so much more flavor and natural juice by being ripe. That juice is married to perfection with sugar and butter.
And we all know that when you melt butter and sugar, you have this beautiful caramelization created by it.
Each bite is sinfully sweet and delicious.
In this Article
- Why use bread?
- Bread crust
- What you will love about Baked Peaches
- Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed to make those delicious baked peaches recipe
- Equipment needed
- Baking tips and step-by-step instructions on how to make baked peaches
- How to store your reheated baked peaches
- Are you craving more peach recipes?
- If you enjoy this delicious baked peaches recipe, look at my other recipes.
- Baked Peaches – A sweet French dessert
Why use bread?
Simple. All the beautiful juices are accumulated on the bread, and nothing goes to waste.
You can cut into, bite, or spread the baked peach over the bread and enjoy.
Use French country bread sliced thicker. As a result, the caramelization created by the butter, sugar, and peach will be on the top, and the softness of the bread on the bottom to absorb it all.
I removed some of the crust of the bread. When it bakes, it hardens, making it hard sometimes to bite into without making a mess.
Therefore I remove it, making it easier for everyone to enjoy it.
What you will love about Baked Peaches
- The best way of using your peaches that are ripe.
- The perfect afternoon snack for the whole family.
- You will only need a few ingredients that you already have in your refrigerators and pantry.
Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed to make those delicious baked peaches recipe
This is a quick introduction, and as you can see, the list of ingredients is short and includes essentials you may already have in your pantry. Please read the recipe for complete instructions.
Bread: French country bread is perfect, as well as Sourdough. The slices need to be one inch thick. They will collect the butter with the sugar and natural juices of the peaches. Therefore, beware of bread with large holes, as all the juices will run off, which is not what you want.
Peaches: Ripe peaches work the best as they release more of their natural juices, making it easier to remove the pit.
Sugar: granulated sugar. Do not skip this step. Maybe use a bit less than I used. It has to caramelize with the butter.
Unsalted butter: always use unsalted butter. You want to have control of the seasoning, and salted butter will not only add too much salt to your dish but change the flavor of it.
I only recommend what I use and love.
Spatula to spread the butter.
Ovenproof gratin dish to bake your bread and peaches in, with a higher border to keep the peaches in place and all the juice.
Baking tips and step-by-step instructions on how to make baked peaches
I recommend having all your ingredients ready when you start with this recipe.
- Butter generously a gratin dish.
- Place the slice of bread in the buttered dish and top with the halved peaches.
- Add sugar and butter to the cavity of the peach and bake for around 20 minutes, depending on your oven and altitude.
This easy dessert can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature. Tempting as it may be, wait before biting into it until it is cool off or accessible to the touch.
How to store your reheated baked peaches
If you are lucky to have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Are you craving more peach recipes?
Mascarpone Roasted Peaches – Soft peaches with a touch of mascarpone to delight your palate.
Pork Chops With Peaches and Pears Sauce – The pear and peach seasons overlap, and this dinner combination is a wonderful one that will take little to no time to make.
As the title calls it, Peach Pie – Summer Fun is sweet and delicious, perfect for all your summer gatherings.
If you enjoy this delicious baked peaches recipe, look at my other recipes.
Baked Peaches – A sweet French dessert
- 4 slices bread, crust removed
- 4 peaches, cut in half and pitted
- 4 tbsps sugar
- 0.25 cup unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Generously grease an 8-inch pie pan and arrange the slices of bread in it.
- Place half a peach, cut side up, on each slice of bread. In the cavity left by the pit, sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 piece of butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve warm or cold.
Giangi’s Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Visit my Amazon Storefront for my selection of favorite kitchen essentials. I only recommend equipment that I use and love.