Did somebody mention bacon?
We all have staples in our kitchen, and bacon is one ingredient that is never missing. I believe that everything tastes better with bacon. And here is a recipe to prove that point.
Where should I start to describe this dish?
Crispy chicken thighs with mushrooms, cream, bacon, and lemon.
And did I mention you will be using only one pan to make this incredible dish? Yes! That is what I love the most, less cleaning in the kitchen.
You can even present it in the skillet you prepare for your table: Rustic and family fun.
The chicken is added to the skillet and cooked to perfection. Onions and mushrooms cooked together. Grated parmesan cheese makes this dish just out of this world.
The cheese melts, giving you this very rich, creamy, velvety sauce that, added to all the other ingredients, makes this dish a “must try”.
Chicken thighs are my favorite part of the chicken. Full of flavor.
They work well with most sauces, and the meat is always tender.
Cooking tips and suggestions on how to prepare this recipe.
This is a quick introduction. Please read the recipe for complete instructions.
- Because of the acidity of this dish with the lemon, I strongly recommend using a non-porous cast iron skillet. Le Creuset is my choice here. The enamel part of the skillet will not allow the acidity to break down on the cast iron and forgo a metal taste.
- The Le Creuset makes the best sauces, as well as cooking evenly because of the heavy bottom. Something that I look forward to in a skillet.
- Do reserve the bacon fat. The flavor is unsurpassed when added back to your dish.
- Always push the chicken with a pair of thongs before turning it over. If it gives you resistance, wait a bit longer. Once the skin is nicely golden, it should detach itself. Forcing it will result in the skin separating from the chicken.
- To keep the chicken moist, loosely cover it with aluminum foil once removed from the skillet and before returning it to the skillet again. Step 4 of the recipe is below.
- Mushrooms: I used white caps, but cremini is perfect as well. Do, however, squeeze some lemon juice over them to eliminate turning dark
- Make sure all the onions are chopped the same size thus cooking evenly.
- Garnishing with thyme or finely chopped parsley of course, is optional. However, it adds a touch of color to your dish.
- You can bring the finished dish in the skillet to your table.
- Do not forget the trivet, just in case you have a wooden table.
Want to try more fun recipes?
I know you will enjoy these great Chinese chicken skewers
What dish will go well alongside?
When I prepare a rich dish, I like to stay on the light side for a side dish. Roasted vegetables are always welcome and Broccolini and Carrots are just perfect.
Or indulge with this to-die-for Rice with Peas and Butter .
However, sometimes I falter and give in to rich creamy mashed potatoes. After all, I must enjoy the sauce somehow.
Any fresh fruits for dessert will round up the perfect meal for the whole family.
If you enjoy this dish, check out these flavorful recipes:
Equipment used to prepare this recipe:
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. Leave a comment below and thank you for the star rating.
If you do not want to miss any of my recipes sign up for my newsletter.
Bacon Chicken Thighs
- 4 slices bacon 4 slices thick bacon
- 4 chicken thighs 4 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- salt and pepper salt and pepper
- 1 red onion 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 mushrooms 8 large white caps mushrooms, stem removed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ¾ cup sodium-free chicken stock ¾ cup sodium-free chicken stock
- ¾ cup heavy cream ¾ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese ⅓ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch fresh thyme 1 small bunch of fresh thyme
- ½ lemon juice of ½ lemon
- parsley fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy, about 8 minutes. Drain the slices over a paper towel-lined plate and reserve about 2 tablespoons of the fat rendered in the skillet.
- Season generously with salt and pepper the chicken. Increase the heat to medium-high, then add the chicken, skin-side down. Cook until golden, about 5 -7 minutes per side. Skin needs to be crispy golden. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- Add onions and cook until soft. Stir in the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and then the chicken stock, cream, parmesan cheese, thyme, and lemon juice. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 more minutes more. Chop the bacon and add it to the sauce.Garnish with fresh thyme or chopped parsley.
Giangi's Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Visit my Amazon Storefront for my selection of favorite kitchen essentials. I only recommend equipment that I use and love.
Originally posted on January 9, 2021, updated on December 5, 2021