Breaded orange roughy recipe.
A delicious orange roughy recipe that is savory and very easy to prepare. A quick recipe that will allow you to have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Orange roughy recipe when cooked correctly has a very delicate sweet, mild flavor. It will flake when cooking; thus, do not feel disconcerted if this happens.
What is Panko made out of?
Panko is a Japanese bread crumb that is light, dryer, and flakier in consistency and is made from white bread without the crust. Consequently, it absorbs less grease when cooked than its regular breadcrumbs.
One of my favorite parts of using panko is that it will not flake away when turned to cook while frying. The panko sticks more to the fish, or any meat, than your regular bread crumbs.
I also enjoy mozzarella cheese, nice and gooey. However, any Gruyere of Emmenthal cheese will be fine also.
Can I substitute panko for breadcrumbs?
Although the texture of the two is not the same, panko and Italian breadcrumbs can be used interchangeably in recipes.
What can I substitute panko with?
A number of substitutions can be used such as toasted shredded bread, crackers crumbs, melba toasts that are crushed, matzo balls, and crushed tortilla chips. Even dry crushed stuffing mix or crushed pretzels.
And last but not least, crushed cornflakes or potato chips.
What is orange roughy?
Also known as red roughy, slimehead, and deep-sea perch is a relatively large fish. Found in the United States Atlantic and Indo-Pacific Oceans. Rich in texture and flavor.
Quite a versatile fish as well when it comes to cooking. Fry it as in with this recipe. Excellent baked or, with a light tomato sauce in a pasta dish.
Tips to help you along the way
This recipe is super easy to prepare as you may have noticed. However, I want to share a couple of my personal tips with you.
As with all recipes, have all your ingredients ready before getting ready. When cooking with oil, I always recommend to please leave all distractions away from you and the little kids away from the kitchen.
- As with all raw food products, be careful to clean the cutting board after handling fish to avoid cross-contamination.
- When frying food, do not overcrowd the skillet allowing the orange roughy to cook evenly. This breaded orange roughy will require all the room in the skillet to good perfectly and quickly.
- Remove the fish from the skillet with cooking thongs. You do not want to break away from the beautiful crust that has formed around the fish.
- Let the breaded orange roughy rest on a wire rack over a cookie sheet when removed from the hot oil skillet. This will prevent sitting on the oil, which is not good for you, and retaining its crispiness.
- The combination of the panko with the parmesan cheese, or Parmigiano Reggiano, gives you a deliciously crisp orange roughy recipe that everyone will enjoy. A given taste of Italian recipe that transports to the south and the sea. A great kid recipe.
- Parmigiano Reggiano is the king of cheeses in Italy from the provinces of Parma, Reggio Emilia. Aged 12 months and older is one of my favorites.
What to enjoy with
Butter Lettuce with Shallots Vinaigrette: Simple and super healthy is the perfect side dish for a light dinner.
Roasted Bell Pepper with Italian Farro Salad: Staying with the Italian recipe theme, this super healthy side dish is very enjoyable. A bit more of comfort food.
Tomato, Arugula Salad: My favorite and rounds up a fantastic dinner.
More delicious recipes for you to enjoy:
Equipment and ingredients used to create this recipe
Breaded Orange Roughy - Crisp and tender
- 6 ounces orange roughy fillets 4 6 ounces filles orange roughy fillets
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese ¾ cup parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup panko ¾ cup of panko
- ¾ cup bread crumbs ¾ cup of bread crumbs
- 2 eggs 2 whole egg(s)
- ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour 1/2 cup of unbleached all purpose flour
- 6 tbsps olive oil 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Dry the fish and place it in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip it in the egg mixture and then place it in the panko-bread crumbs mixture, and cover well.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil and when hot cook the fish, for 5 minutes. When nice and golden turn and cook the other side for another 2 minutes. When the pan is hot, the fish will absorb less oil.
- Once the fish is golden and done, remove it from the skillet and place it on a cooling rack.
- Do not overcrowd the skillet. Serve nice and hot.
Giangi's Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Visit my Amazon Storefront for my selection of favorite kitchen essentials. I only recommend equipment that I use and love.
Originally published on September 2, 2010, edited on December 2, 2021