Doesn’t sound good? It sure was. This recipe was shared with me from my friend and chef Eliane from Born To Taste.
We made it while I was staying with her this summer and I fell in love with it. I do love shallots to start with, but the balsamic vinegar with the sugar creates such a hearty caramel rich in flavor that you are in for a real treat.
I served it alongside Pomme de Terre Fondantes, but any potatoes of your choice will be excellent. Soak up the juice from the shallots. Roasted baby carrots are a good compliment as well alongside.
Caramelized Shallots with N.Y. Steaks
- 4 NY Steak 4 8-ounces NY Steaks
- 4 shallots 4 shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons olive oil
- .75 cup red wine vinegar 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- .50 cup sugar 1/2 cup sugar
- salt salt
- pepper pepper
- Preheat oven at 360F.
- Place shallots in large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Make sure the shallots are entirely coated with the olive oil.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Add vinegars and sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add shallots when done and cook, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until lightly caramelized.
- Generously season the NY steaks with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over high heat. When hot, add the steaks and cook to desire liking.
- Serve sauce over the steaks.
Giangi's Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram