When you have too many carrots in your refrigerator and roasting them is getting to be a thing of boredom, turn them into a soup.
That’s what I did with this cream of carrot soup.
I had lots of fun getting creative and playing with flavors while crafting this recipe. Not only is it so delicious and super healthy, but it’s also straightforward to make.
A little chopping up and the stove does most of the work.
I had just purchased some lemongrass, so I added that to the soup for some extra flavor.
It turned out to be the perfect amount. Of course, as with many recipes, experiment with your flavors.
And if you do not have lemongrass, add some lemon juice. I wanted to create an uplifting flavor note that was not overpowering.
Why sugar? The sugar, with the butter, carrots, and onions, helps the caramelization process, adding more flavor to this soup.
Each simple ingredient in this cream of carrot soup recipe adds flavor.
In this Article
- Why You Will Love Cream of Carrot Soup
- Cooking tips
- Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed to make this Cream of Carrot Soup
- Equipment Needed
- How to Make Cream of Carrot Soup
- What to Serve With Cream of Carrot Soup
- More Simple Soups
- Frequently Asked Questions
- If you enjoy this recipe, check out those delicious recipes
- Shop This Post
- Cream of Carrot Soup
Why You Will Love Cream of Carrot Soup
One Pot – There is minimal cleanup with this one-pot soup — just the pot and the blender.
Healthy – This soup is packed full of nutrients from carrots and other veggies.
Great for Prepping – This soup is excellent if you like to prepare meals ahead of time. It stores well in the refrigerator and is easy to reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- To make this creamy carrot soup recipe vegetarian, use good vegetable stock instead of chicken broth. Either way, the richer the stock, the more flavor there is to the cream of carrot soup.
- Cutting all the vegetables small and into the same size will accelerate the cooking process. Add more stock or water if the soup gets a bit dry, which can happen as it cooks.
- A great blender. I love my Vitamix, and it will turn this soup into a fantastic cream. Of course, a food processor can do the same, too.
- Season towards the end of cooking. I like to taste the final flavor of food before adding more seasoning. It is something that I have picked up along the way after over-salting a meal.
- Adding chunks of cooked chicken or baby pasta is a complete meal for the little ones.
Furthermore, you can prepare this super delicious cream of carrot soup ahead of time and place it in the refrigerator overnight. It will remain fresh for several days.
Sprinkle some chives or parsley over the top if you so wish at serving time.
Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed to make this Cream of Carrot Soup
Onion – Onions add a savory flavor to the base of the soup.
Garlic Cloves – Garlic adds depth of flavor to the soup.
Celery Stalks – Celery imparts herbaceousness to the cream of carrot soup.
Carrots – The star of the show, carrots give the soup its vibrant color and sweet flavor.
Turnip – This root vegetable helps build the soup’s thick consistency and adds earthy flavor.
Potato – Potatoes also help to make the soup satisfyingly thick and creamy.
Sugar – Just a little bit of sugar balances the flavors of the vegetables in the soup.
Unsalted Butter – Butter helps to give the soup its velvety texture. I always use unsalted butter in my cooking or baking to control the amount of sodium. Salted butter not only adds too much salt to your dish, but it changes the flavor.
Chicken Stock – The stock makes up the base of the soup.
Lemongrass – This herb adds notes of citrus to the soup.
Salt and Pepper – These simple seasonings round out the flavors of the soup.
Please follow the link to access the product of your preference.
Chef’s knife – for all the cutting and chopping
Wood Cutting board – wood is my first choice as it is the gentlest on your knife blade.
Large pot – Le Creuset is my go-to for soups.
Blender – I am completely in love with my Vitamix. Perfect for pureeing this wonderful soup.
The blender that does it all. My faithful kitchen companion for years. Durable and with settings for all your cooking needs.
How to Make Cream of Carrot Soup
- Place the butter in a large pot and heat until melted.
- Add the carrots and onions to the melted butter and sauté.
- Once the onions and carrots have softened, add the remaining ingredients and boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Allow the soup to continue to cook until the vegetables are fork-tender.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until pureed.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and season to taste.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chives or parsley.
What to Serve With Cream of Carrot Soup
- Spiciness – Add some heat to the soup with a few dashes of cayenne, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce.
- Earthiness – Use a bit of cumin or curry powder to add more earthy flavor to the soup.
- Dairy – Make the soup even more velvety by adding heavy cream. You can also add a little bit of tanginess by adding sour cream or Greek yogurt, either when blending or as a garnish.
- Seeds – Sprinkle some pepitas or sunflower seeds on the soup when serving for a bit of crunchiness.
- Chunky – If you prefer your soup to be a little chunkier, use an immersion blender instead.
- Vegan – To make this soup vegan, use dairy-free butter and vegetable stock. You can also use coconut milk when blending for added flavor if you choose.
- Ginger – Ginger complements carrots well. Make a carrot ginger soup by adding freshly grated ginger or ginger powder.
More Simple Soups
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the taste of carrot soup?
There are lots of recipes for carrot soup, so the flavors will vary. This carrot soup is slightly sweet and full of herbaceous flavor.
Is carrot soup good for you?
Carrot soup is packed full of healthy vitamins and nutrients. Additionally, carrots are full of heart-healthy antioxidants.
Do you need to peel carrots for carrot soup?
Nope! There’s no need to peel the carrots — all you need to do to prepare them is rinse them well.
Refrigerator: Once the soup has cooled to room temperature, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Carrot soup can be frozen for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container or resealable freezer bag.
If you enjoy this recipe, check out those delicious recipes
Shop This Post
I cannot live without my Le Creuset! Cooks evenly due to the cast iron base. Makes the best braising, roasting, and sauces. A MUST in every kitchen!
Cream of Carrot Soup
- 1 onion, sliced and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1½ cup celery stalks, sliced
- 3 cups carrots, peeled and cut into small rounds
- 2 cups turnip, peeled and cut into small cubes (1 inch)
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into small cubes (1 inch)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cups chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot melt the butter. Add the carrots, onions, and sauté until soft. Add the sugar, celery, turnip potatoes, salt and pepper, lemongrass, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until all the vegetables are tender. Around 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are tender, place them in a blender or food processor and puree. Return the puree to the cooking pot and season accordingly.
- Serve hot sprinkled with chives or parsley.
Giangi’s Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Visit my Amazon Storefront for my selection of favorite kitchen essentials. I only recommend equipment that I use and love.
Originally published on September 1. 2020.