Jalapeno Burgers. A spin on our beloved burger recipe.
Imagine a juicy, succulent, cooked-to-perfection beef patty with chunks of cheddar cheese stuffed inside the meat.
A few weeks ago, my dear friend invited us to her house for dinner. We had terrific jalapeno cheddar burgers.
I could not wait to get home to replicate them as much as we have fallen in love with them.
The perfect amount of heat from the jalapeno. Savory and super delicious.
We all know that jalapeno is not for the faint of heart. So, I took control and chose a heat level I felt comfortable with. To achieve that, I omitted most of the seeds.
Medium heat is how I like them.
My recipe has no hamburger buns, which I replaced with spinach. I prefer the lightness of it, but by all means, add your favorite bun to this hamburger with a jalapeno recipe.
Any good bread buns will be perfect for this Jalapeno Burgers. My preference is potato buns. Not too thick and super delicious.
A gluten-free paleo version of dinner. The softness of the spinach tames the burger.
In this Article
- What are jalapeno peppers?
- Peppers and Mexican cuisine
- Tips from a pro jalapeno eater
- Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed to make this jalapeno cheddar burgers recipe
- Optional sides to your burger with jalapenos
- Cooking tips and step-by-step instructions to achieve this wonderful cheese jalapeno burger recipe
- Variations to your jalapeno hamburgers
- I hope you enjoyed these cheddar jalapeno burgers. Check out these flavorful recipes:
- Jalapeño Burgers
What are jalapeno peppers?
Jalapeno peppers are medium-sized chile peppers with mild to moderate heat.
The green, deep color is when they are picked and are in their unripened state. Jalapenos turn red when they are ripe.
Used to flavor everything from salsa to salad dressing.
Fresh jalapenos can be chopped, sliced, or diced depending on the use that you have for them.
Slice them into rings when you want to concentrate the heat into a bite. Nachos is a good example.
Remove the ribs and the seeds to reduce the level of heat.
Peppers and Mexican cuisine
There are many types of peppers to choose from. These include serrano, chili, and jalapeno peppers. You could spend all day at the store deciding which ones to buy.
Play with one at a time..
Serrano is milder than jalapenos, and habanero will have you running for the water. A little will go a long way.
I attempted to grow both bell peppers and a pepper plant. Unfortunately, the squirrels ate the peppers before I could enjoy them.
Tips from a pro jalapeno eater
When I first moved to Arizona, I was introduced to jalapenos. My friends were unsure how I would cope with the heat.
So, they showed me a trick. Whenever I eat something spicy hot, I should add salt and lime to a slice of radish or cucumber. I should eat it immediately.
The two balance the heat by calming it. And trust me, I have seen and felt fire one time too many.
No need to drink tons of water, milk, or beer to calm the hotness.
Here are a few helpful tips for the ingredients needed to make this jalapeno cheddar burgers recipe
This is a quick introduction. Please read the recipe for complete instructions.
Ground beef with 80/20 fat content is the best choice. It will keep your burgers moist while reducing fat content.
Cheddar cheese: Sharp cheddar cheese is fantastic with this jalapeno burger. Pepper Jack cheese can also be used.
Jalapeño peppers: the star of this dish. By removing the internal seedling, you can control the heat distribution.
Fresh spinach is washed and dried. The crispiness and freshness of the spinach provide a nice balance against the burger’s heat with jalapeno.
Optional sides to your burger with jalapenos
Refreshing and nourishing, the radishes and avocados are the perfect pairing.
- Extra slice of cheese
- Grilled burger buns
Cooking tips and step-by-step instructions to achieve this wonderful cheese jalapeno burger recipe
This is a note to the wise and to myself: The seeds and filaments are the hottest parts of a jalapeno.
Be very careful when removing them not to breathe into them. I did that, and I am still coughing.
- It is ok to rinse the inside of the jalapeno. This will eliminate a lot of the heat.
- Grate the cheese with a grate with large holes.
- Use a large bowl to mix all the ingredients.
When you are ready to assemble your burger:
- I use a measuring cup to ensure all burgers are equal in size. I scoop up the desired amount for each burger.
- Ensure that the cheese is not overly exposed. This will prevent it from melting and burning faster than the burger.
- I use a grill pan to give it the perfect lines to them.
- Cook the burgers carefully. Monitor them closely. The cheese will melt and create fat. This can be hazardous if left alone.
- Medium-high heat and a few minutes on each side
- Once cooked, let your grilled burgers rest on paper towels to absorb some of the fat.
Variations to your jalapeno hamburgers
As you can see, this recipe is super easy to make and requires few ingredients.
Of course, you can always add some new flavors to it:
Thinly sliced onions and jalapenos are added to your meat for some extra yummy.
Using pIckled jalapeño can also replace the fresh one.
Enjoy this yummy jalapeño cheddar Burgers recipe!
I hope you enjoyed these cheddar jalapeno burgers. Check out these flavorful recipes:
Equipment that I use and love to make this recipe
- 1 pound ground beef, (80/20 fat content)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno, cleaned, seeds removed (optional) and sliced
- salt and pepper
- fresh spinach, washed and dried
- radishes, thinly sliced
- limes, wedges
- avocado, sliced
- Combine the ground beef with the cheddar cheese and jalapeno slices in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Form ¼ pound each burger patties.
- Over high heat place a grill plate and when hot brush some oil over the surface.
- Add the burger patties and cook to desired doneness paying attention as the cheese will melt and stick to the grill. 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- On a plate place a small bed of spinach and add the burger on top of it. Add the radishes and limes with avocado to your plate.
Giangi’s Kitchen provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as a registered dietician does not calculate them.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @giangiskitchen on Instagram
Visit my Amazon Storefront for my selection of favorite kitchen essentials. I only recommend equipment that I use and love.